Ubuntu Studio shares some of the desktop features with Kubuntu. Please see Kubuntu release notes for additional information.
Getting Ubuntu Studio 23.04
Download a Disk Image
Instructions for burning the image to a USB flash drive can be found on the Burning ISO Howto. NOTE: This ISO image exceeds 4.0GB and might not write correctly to a DVD. We recommend USB flash drives be used as installation media.
Check SHA256SUM for the downloaded ISO
Upgrading to Ubuntu Studio 23.04
When Ubuntu Studio 23.04 is finally released, you should receive a notification if you are running Ubuntu Studio 22.10 (or 22.04 LTS and receiving regular release notifications) that an upgrade is available. If you do not receive a notification after about a week of release, make sure you have plasma-distro-release-notifier installed.
To manually upgrade, ensure the package press Alt+Space to invoke Krunner, and type the following:
do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f DistUpgradeViewKDE
Alternatively, you can do this from the Konsole terminal:
do-release-upgrade -m desktop
Changes for this release (compared to 22.10 Kinetic Kudu)
- PipeWire is now the default sound server, but is not recommended for professional audio. See Switching Audio Setup for more information. version 0.3.65
- Studio Controls is no longer included by default, but can be installed with
ubuntustudio-pulseaudio-settings. See Switching Audio Setup for more information.
- RaySession has been upgraded to version 0.13.0
- Carla upgraded to 2.5.4
- lsp-plugins upgraded to 1.2.5
- Audacity upgraded to 3.2.4
- Ardour upgrade to 7.3.0
- Patchance (new) 1.0.0
- Krita upgraded to version 5.1.5
- Darktable upgraded to 4.2.1
- digiKam upgraded to 8.0.0 Beta
- OBS Studio upgraded to 29.0.2
- Blender upgraded to 3.4.1
- KDEnlive upgraded to 22.12.3
- Freeshow upgraded to 0.8.0
- OpenLP upgraded to 3.0.2
- Q Light Controller Plus upgraded to 4.12.6
Current Version of Main Multimedia Packages
- Blender v3.4.1
- KDEnlive v22.12.3
- Krita v5.4.1
- Gimp v2.10.34
- Ardour v7.3.0
- Scribus v1.5.8
- Darktable v4.2.1
- Inkscape v1.2.2
- Carla v2.5.4
- OBS Studio v29.0.2
- MyPaint v2.0.1
- Audacity v3.2.4
- Ubuntu Studio uses the same KDE Plasma desktop environment as the official Kubuntu release, and thus, may be affected by some of the same issues. This is also true of the core packages of the mainline Ubuntu release. You can see their release notes here (Kubuntu) and here (Ubuntu).
- Due to a known bug in the Calamares installer, the option to “Automatically login upon boot” is not functional. A workaround is to boot into your user, load system settings > Startup and Shutdown > Login Screen (SDDM) > Behavior and select which user you would like to automatically login.
- The Calamares installer has a part where it has black text on the dark background. The cause is unknown. (LP: #2013250)
Ubuntu Studio 23.04 (Lunar Lobster) is supported for 9 Months until January 2024.
Ways to contact the Ubuntu Studio Team are listed here