We hope that Ubuntu Studio 19.04’s release has been a welcome update for our users. As such, we are continuing our work on Ubuntu Studio with our next release scheduled for October 17, 2019, codenamed “Eoan Ermine”.
Bug Fix for Ubuntu Studio Controls
A bug identified in which the ALSA-Jack MIDI bridge was not surviving a reboot was fixed and updated in Ubuntu 19.04. As such, please make sure all of your packages are up-to-date.
New Features Coming to Ubuntu Studio Controls
We have already done a lot of work to Ubuntu Studio Controls for 19.10, and as such we have several new features already landing:
- Multiple PulseAudio Bridges (for routing of individual applications)
- In-Window Jack Status Indicator
- DSP Usage Meter
- Quick-links to QASMixer, Carla, and PulseAudio Control
These features are currently available in Eoan Ermine’s daily ISO images. After we have determined there has been sufficient testing (or 19.10 is released, whichever comes first), we will backport this version of Ubuntu Studio Controls to our backports PPA.
LSP-Plugins Coming to Ubuntu Studio 19.10
The Linux Studio Plugins Project is a collection of 91 Ladspa, LV2, and VST audio plugins compatible with Carla, Ardour, and other DAWs. These plugins are to be included by default in Ubuntu Studio 19.10, and are currently available in the Backports PPA for 18.04, 18.10, and 19.04. If you feel as though Ubuntu Studio is lacking in audio plugins, this should no longer be the case.
For a full list of plugins available, check out the official documentation.
Other Items in the Backports PPA
- Removed ubuntustudio-gnome-branding from ubuntustudio-installer as people without the default GNOME Ubuntu were installing it, undesirably pulling-in GNOME packages.
- The default wallpaper for 19.04 was slightly “fixed” and is available to 18.04 and 18.10 in the “ubuntustudio-disco-wallpapers” package, along with a version without the Ubuntu Studio logo in the lower-right corner.
- An updated package of the Calf Studio Gear plugins to 0.90.2 for 18.04, 18.10, and 19.04
Ubuntu Studio 18.10 END-OF-LIFE Coming on July 18th, 2019
If you have not already upgraded from Ubuntu Studio 18.10 to 19.04, you have just over a month left to do so before Ubuntu Studio 18.10 reaches End-Of-Life and will no longer be supported. Ubuntu 18.10 and all official flavors reach End-Of-Life on July 18, 2019. Mark your calendar and upgrade as soon as possible!
Upgrading is available via the Software Updater and the command line “do-release-upgrade” tool.
If you have added the Backports PPA, please install and run ppa-purge tool before upgrading for the best upgrade experience:
sudo apt install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntustudio-ppa/backports