Ubuntu Studio shares some of the desktop features with Kubuntu. Please see Kubuntu release notes for additional information.
Getting Ubuntu Studio 21.10
Download a Disk Image
Instructions for burning the image to a DVD or USB flash drive can be found on the Burning ISO Howto.
Check MD5SUM for the downloaded ISO
Upgrading to Ubuntu Studio 21.10
Due to the change in desktop environment, direct upgrades to Ubuntu Studio 21.10 from versions prior to 21.04 are unsupported.
Direct upgrades from Ubuntu Studio 21.04 will be supported.
To upgrade, ensure the package ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt is installed press alt-space to invoke Krunner, and type the following:
pkexec do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f DistUpgradeViewKDE
Alternatively, you can do this from the Konsole terminal:
sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop
Changes for this release (compared to 21.04 Hirsute Hippo)
- Studio Controls is updated to version 2.2.7.
- Multiple bug fixes
- New layout
- zita-njbridge integration (Networkable Audio)
- qmidinet integration (Networkable MIDI)
- For more information about Ubuntu Studio Controls, see:
- The README
- The manpages for studio-controls, autojack and studio-system
- Ardour has been upgraded to version 6.9.
- RaySession has been upgraded to version 0.11.1
- Hydrogen upgraded to 1.1.0-beta1
- Carla upgraded to 2.4
- jack-mixer upgraded to 16
- lsp-plugins upgraded to 1.1.30
- No longer requires the icons (stand-alone jack plugins) to be installed by default
- Krita upgraded to version 4.4.8
- Darktable upgraded to 3.6.0
- Inkscape upgraded 1.1
- Calibre upgraded to 5.25.0
- Scribus upgraded to 1.5.7
- OBS Studio upgraded to 27.0.1
- KDEnlive upgraded to 21.04.3
Current Version of Main Multimedia Packages
- Blender v2.93.3
- KDEnlive v21.04.3
- Krita v4.4.8
- Gimp v2.10.24
- Ardour v6.9
- Scribus v1.5.7
- Darktable v3.6.0
- Inkscape v1.1
- Carla v2.4
- Studio Controls v2.2.7
- OBS Studio v27.0.1
- MyPaint v2.0.1
- Ubuntu Studio uses the same KDE Plasma desktop environment as the official Kubuntu release, and thus, may be affected by some of the same issues. This is also true of the core packages of the mainline Ubuntu release. You can see their release notes here (Kubuntu) and here (Ubuntu)
Ubuntu Studio 21.04 (Impish Indri) will be supported for 9 months until July 2022. Direct upgrades to Ubuntu Studio 21.10 from supported versions prior to 21.04 are not supported.
Ways to contact the Ubuntu Studio Team are listed here