Ubuntu Studio shares some of the desktop features with Kubuntu. Please see Kubuntu release notes for additional information.
Getting Ubuntu Studio 21.04
Download a Disk Image
Instructions for burning the image to a DVD or USB flash drive can be found on the Burning ISO Howto.
Check MD5SUM for the downloaded ISO
Upgrading to Ubuntu Studio 21.04
Due to the change in desktop environment, direct upgrades to Ubuntu Studio 21.04 from versions prior to 20.10 are unsupported.
Direct upgrades from Ubuntu Studio 20.10 will be supported.
To upgrade, ensure the package ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt is installed press alt-space to invoke Krunner, and type the following:
pkexec do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f DistUpgradeViewKDE
Alternatively, you can do this from the Konsole terminal:
sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop
Changes for this release (compared to 20.10 Groovy Gorilla)
- Studio Controls is updated to version 2.1.4.
- Multiple bug fixes
- For more information about Ubuntu Studio Controls, see:
- The README
- The manpages for studio-controls, autojack and studio-system
- Agordejo, the improvement and front-end to New Session Manager, is included by default, version 0.2.1
- Ardour has been upgraded to version 6.6 and is a git snapshot of the upcoming 6.7. We will release the final version of Ardour 6.7 when it is ready.
- RaySession has been upgraded to version 0.10.1
- Hydrogen upgraded to 1.0.1
- Carla upgraded to 2.3
- jack-mixer upgraded to 15-1
- lsp-plugins upgraded to 1.1.29
- Krita upgraded to version 4.4.3
- Darktable upgraded to 3.4.1
- Inkscape upgraded 1.0.2
- Calibre upgraded to 5.11.0
- Scribus upgraded to 188.8.131.52
- OBS Studio upgraded to 26.1.2
- KDEnlive upgraded to 20.12.3
Current Version of Main Multimedia Packages
- Blender v2.83.5
- KDEnlive v20.12.3
- Krita v4.4.3
- Gimp v2.10.22
- Ardour v6.6+git
- Scribus v184.108.40.206
- Darktable v3.4.1
- Inkscape v1.0.2
- Carla v2.3
- Studio Controls v2.1.4
- OBS Studio v26.1.2
- MyPaint v2.0.1
- Ubuntu Studio uses the same KDE Plasma desktop environment as the official Kubuntu release, and thus, may be affected by some of the same issues. This is also true of the core packages of the mainline Ubuntu release. You can see their release notes here (Kubuntu) and here (Ubuntu)
Ubuntu Studio 21.04 (Hirsute Hippo) will be supported for 9 months until January 2022. Direct upgrades to Ubuntu Studio 21.04 from versions prior to 20.10 are not supported.
Ways to contact the Ubuntu Studio Team are listed here