Ubuntu Studio shares some of the same desktop features as Kubuntu. Please see Kubuntu release notes for additional information.
Getting Ubuntu Studio 23.10
Download a Disk Image
Instructions for burning the image to a USB flash drive can be found on the Burning ISO Howto. NOTE: This ISO image exceeds 4.0GB and might not write correctly to a DVD. We recommend USB flash drives be used as installation media.
Check SHA256SUM for the downloaded ISO
Upgrading to Ubuntu Studio 23.10
When Ubuntu Studio 23.10 is finally released, you should receive a notification if you are running Ubuntu Studio 23.04 (or 22.04 LTS and receiving regular release notifications) that an upgrade is available. If you do not receive a notification about two weeks after release, make sure you have plasma-distro-release-notifier installed.
To manually upgrade, ensure the package press Alt+Space to invoke Krunner, and type the following:
do-release-upgrade -d -m desktop -f DistUpgradeViewKDE
Alternatively, you can do this from the Konsole terminal:
do-release-upgrade -d -m desktop
Changes for this release
(compared to 23.04 Lunar Lobster)
This release includes further improvements to Ubuntu Studio Installer which now also includes the Ubuntu Studio Audio Configuration utility to improve configuration of the audio subsystem. Version 1.9
Ubuntu Studio Installer no longer has the option to enable the backports PPA. Backports PPA has been deprecated for regular releases, LTS releases will rely on the Ubuntu Backports Repository beginning with 24.04 LTS.
- PipeWire is the default sound server and is better for professional audio compared to 23.04*. version 0.3.79
- Carla upgraded to 2.5.7
- lsp-plugins upgraded to 1.2.11
- Audacity upgraded to 3.3.3
- Ardour upgraded to 7.5.0
- Patchance upgraded 1.1.0
- digiKam upgraded to 8.1.0
- Darktable upgraded to 4.4.2
- OBS Studio upgraded to 29.1.3
- Blender upgraded to 3.6.2
- KDEnlive upgraded to 23.08.1
- Freeshow upgraded to 0.9.7
- Q Light Controller Plus upgraded to 4.12.7
Default Desktop Environment
- KDE Plasma Desktop upgraded to 5.27.8
- KDE Frameworks upgraded to 5.110.0
- Qt upgraded to 5.15.10
- KDE Gear upgraded to 23.08.1
Current Version of Main Multimedia Packages
- Blender v3.6.2
- KDEnlive v23.08.1
- Krita v5.1.5
- Gimp v2.10.34
- Ardour v7.5.0
- Scribus v1.5.8
- Darktable v4.4.2
- Inkscape v1.2.2
- Carla v2.5.7
- OBS Studio v29.1.3
- MyPaint v2.0.1
- Audacity v3.3.3
- Ubuntu Studio’s classic PulseAudio-JACK configuration cannot be used on Ubuntu Desktop (GNOME) as the Ubuntu Desktop team has decided not to allow PulseAudio to be installed. (LP: #2033440)
- Ubuntu Studio uses the same KDE Plasma desktop environment as the official Kubuntu release, and thus, may be affected by some of the same issues. This is also true of the core packages of Ubuntu. You can see their release notes here (Kubuntu) and here (Ubuntu).
- *While PipeWire is better now than our previous release, some users may prefer a pure JACK setup than using PipeWire for professional audio needs. For that reason, an on-the-fly way of switching to JACK and disabling PipeWire’s JACK implementation is available via Ubuntu Studio Audio Configuration. Additionally, the classic setup with the JACK-PulseAudio bridge configuration via Studio Controls is still available in the repositories and can also be set-up via Ubuntu Studio Audio Configuration.
Ubuntu Studio 23.10 (Mantic Minotaur) will be supported for 9 Months until July 2024.
Ways to contact the Ubuntu Studio Team are listed here